Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Somewhat Frustrated

Trust me to screw up a simple pattern. The Somewhat Cowl is frustrating me to no end. First, I'm 10" into the raglan seam. That's okay - I'm approaching long enough to stop increasing. BUT - here are my numbers so far:

Fronts: one half, 39 stitches; second half, 43 stitches
Sleeves: one sleeve 86 stithces; second sleeve, 88 stitches
Back: 111 stitches

Let's examine these numbers, shall we? For one thing, apparently symetry is beyond me. Should I try to fix this? (Increase as normal on both fronts/sleeves, then decrease on the one with more stitches until they're even?) Second, despite the fact that I cast on an even number of stitches, and increase 2 every other row, I have an odd number of stitches in the back. Whaaaa? Then, according to my measurements, I need approximately 88 stitches per sleeve and 135 or so in the back. Unfortunately, I've already reached 88 on the sleeves, and I need about 10 more rows on the back. Should I just keep going, and decrease the sleeves when I'm knitting them?

Gah! I don't want to rip back all 10 inches, even with the drastic problems. I just don't know if I would have the heart to reknit it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know its not what you want to hear, but I'd try again. I had to undo about 6 or 7 inches of work when I first started, and I was actually relieved once it was done. It's hard to think about finishing something that you know isn't right. How does you raglan seam look? I would think that if you hadn't increased equally, they wouldn't look the same. Good luck, and if you do undo it, just think of it as a really big swatch...

Monique Marie Sauniere said...

I agree with Silvia. I frogged out over 2 skeins worth when it was apparent that it wasn't correct. You learn something from everything you knit. Sometimes I hate learning this way!

Colleen said...

Strangely enough, the seams look okay. That's partly why I can't figure out where I went wrong.

*sigh* I suppose I knew I would have to frog it. This will likely go back into the "make someday" pile, as I'm losing weight anyway.

Monique Marie Sauniere said...

Hey, that's my motivation, too! I am now making all my sweaters in the size I want to be.

C'mon, you know you want this sexy sweater waiting for you. Give it one more try!

Rae said...

I'm with the others - you'll hate even more to hear advice to frog it, but if you do, you'll probably actually wear the sweater rather than let it sit because it doesn't quite fit right. If you keep going and try to ignore the mistakes, you may find you just can't ignore them when you put it on.

Hang in there!

ICJ said...

Unfortunately, I think there is no other option than frog your SC...

I had to undo some of raglan seem as well because it was too long, and I certainly don't regret it now because I can wear my SC proudly!

Give it a new try and you will alos be proud to succeed at the end! :)