Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Bottom is done!




I finished the bottom last night. I took it an inch or two longer. It's a little puffy now but will look great once it's blocked. It was even puffier before when I started it on the size 4 needles. I frogged it and started over on the size 2's to do this.

I am working on the left sleeve now and saving the collar finishing for last. I'm looking forward to playing with it a bit. The big decision now is...long sleeves or short? I might go for just below the elbow. Longer than 1/2, a little less than 3/4.

One question. What cast-on are you all using for the underarm stitches? I wonder if some sort of toe-up sock cast-on might work nicely next time. You could put half the stitches on the yarn, and use the other half for the body. My picked-up stitches are always so irregular. A cast-on like this might be neater.

The other suggestion I'd make for the pattern is to add a chain selvedge on the part knitted in the flat. It makes picking up stitches much neater and nicer--a plus especially for a visible part like the collar.

Wendy, this is a great pattern, and I've really enjoyed knitting it. It's just flown off my needles! I actually have plans to adjust it for some other yarn in my stash. Gotta get the calculator out!

3 comments:

Amberlee said...

GORGEOUS! I think that looks wonderful. Great job and can't wait to see the whole thing!

xydrella said...

I love it! Keep those pics a coming :)

Tricotine said...

Thanks for sharing your experience! I have already made the sleeves and the cowl neckline and I am about to rib the bottom now...

I didn't cast on stitches underarm... I only picked up my stitches along the edge as I always do and it looks great!

I knitted together the last stitch on my needle with the first stich I picked up to avoid an eyelet...

Hope this help...

Good luck with the collar!

Isabelle :)