Sunday, April 09, 2006

Orangina progress


Well, Gyrid is finished, (you can see it on my blog) so now I can focus some more time on Orangina.
After all my swatching with cottons, I ended up casting this on with Katia's Sevilla, a nylon ribbon. It is gorgeous, and of course the only way I would ever consider wearing nylon is in a top this lacey that will allow the garment to breathe - but it sure is pretty. Fortunately I had the foresight to put the ribbon spool into a plastic ziplock baggie before starting to knit. The ribbon just falls off the sk, however (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems yet with tangles as the small baggie keeps it pretty much controlled.
Because of the diff between my shoulder width and my bust circumference, I am knitting this right now so that it just goes out over the edges of my shoulders, and plan to cast on 9 or 18 st on each side when I get to where I'll start seaming, to create a bit of an armhole opening. I realize it may be a bit weird with the scallop under my arm, but, If I were to cast on enough to manage the circumference I need at the bust, the cap sleeve on this would be to my elbow. I'll let you know how it works out.
I also scored a cami the perfect color to go under this while shopping last week with a friend.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Lovely! I too have a larger bust under smallish shoulders so do keep us updated on how your adjustments to the pattern work out.

Becky said...

Beautiful color and your stitching is perfect.

Glampyre said...

that ribbon yarn really is beautiful, and I love the fact that you've thought your mods out so far in advance. I don't think it will look strange at all to have an icrease at the underarm...your Orangina will be a custom fit!