Friday, April 14, 2006

Somewhat Cowl Progress

I didn't think that I'd join in on this knit along. I was worried about both of the patterns. Orangina was see through and didn't have any sleeves, and Somewhat Cowl was way too low cut. I'm not the kind of person who likes to show my bra, and I thought that wearing a cami under it would make it too hot for a short sleeved sweater. Then I had an epiphany. I'm the one knitting this sweater, and I can make the neckline as deep, or modest as I wanted! So, here's my progress. I got to the end of the reglan sleeve increases, and went ahead and joined the center for the cowl at the same time that I joined the sleeves. I'm now going to pick up stitches for the cowl just to make sure that it isn't too deep before I go ahead and knit the rest of the length.

I've been somewhat hampered by an injury to my left middle finger. I sliced it open chopping onions on Monday, and have had problems knitting with a band-aid on that finger. I hold the yarn Continental style in my left hand, and use my middle finger and thumb to hold/push the stitches along the left needle. The tip of my right needle keeps wanting to get caught under the edge of the band-aid, and I can't feel the stitches very well with that finger. I am also knitting on size 3 needles. I know that I have the same gauge and number of stitches as the rest of you who are knitting on size 5, but it sure feels like more with tiny needles. How on earth did you get gauge on size 5?! I can't imagine how I would get my needle through the loops if I knit any tighter than I do.

5 comments:

ICJ said...

You are doing great, Dawn! I also joined the neckline at the same time as the sleeves on my first attempt... but I followed the pattern the second time...

I am so curious to see how your neckline is going to look!

I think you must be knitting really loose for using #3 needles or maybe your yarn is a little thicker that the one the pattern calls for...

But as long as it works for you, don't you worry about it! LOL

I'll be looking for your next post about your neckline...

Isabelle :)

TheSteph said...

Don't think I'm sick, but... Did you take pictures of the cut???

LOL. :)

nice work on your SW cowl!!!

Dawn said...

Stephie, I'm not sure what you mean by "the cut". It looks a little wonky, because I only put half the stitches on waist yarn. The other half I left on the circular. I'm lazy like that...lol

LadyLungDoc said...

I think she meant the injury to your finger that is making it hard to knit continental style. Come over to the dark side and knit English...

Dawn said...

Ahhhh! LoL, no, I didn't take a picture of the cut.

I taught my friend how to knit English style, but it's not really my favorite. Actually, I'm a heritic and normally knit combined. You hold the yarn like continental, but always knit through the back loop and purl the easy cheater way. I can't do that in the round, though, It twists the stitches *wink* Maybe you should come over to the REAL dark side *Grin*