Monday, April 10, 2006

Orangina Progress & Some Questions


Hey Ladies,

Here you see a progress shot of my Orangina, after about a week, and several and I do mean several frogs. Things are finally going smoothly now. A few questions if I may, how can I tell what size needle to use for the ribbing? Is there a certain look I'm trying to go for? I'm currently using size 3's, working both the back and the front simulataneously. I'm using Paton's Grace.

Next, when it comes to blocking.............. what technique should I use? Yesterday at my knitting meetup I heard about wet towel steam blocking. Is this something I should try with Orangina. I will spare you the details about my previously first blocking attempt.

If all goes as planned, I should be finished by weeks end.

Necia

8 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! That is really pretty! I like it in the verigated yarn. Sorry can't help with your questions...have a few of my own..

ICJ said...

I like the varigated colors of your Orangina!

I use to block with the wet towel steam also but sometimes pin my work to maintain in shape, I spray water and let dry overnight... It works too!

Hope this helps and I look forward to see your Orangina top finished! :)

Erica Bunker said...

Since the Orangina is lacey, I would handwash, squeeze the water out in a towel and pin it and let it dry for a day or two. Just my two cents.

Marji said...

are there blocking instructions on your ball band? Some yarns are best wet blocked, some better steamed, some you can iron the daylights out of. Depends on fiber and twist of yarn. I don't remember what your yarn is and don't seem to be able to find the post where you said, although I know you did ;)
Nice progress - pretty result with the variegated yarn

Anonymous said...

Thanks all. The ball band, says hand wash and lay flat to dry. I vaguely remember ironing my swatch, so I think I'll hand wash it, press out excess water with towel, and then steam it with iron over wet towel. How does that sound?

Necia

Anonymous said...

Oh, with pins.

Necia

AimeeJessica said...

As for the needles size for the ribbing, I'm going down a size on mine... I knitted a swatch of ribbing and found that the gauge on the 3s was just going to be too loose for the amount of stitches the body has. Might want to knit a swatch for yourself and see...

Ling said...

Hi. Your Orangina looks gorgeous in the variegated colours. I was going to do my ribbing in one needle size down, so that it nips in a bit more at the waist. Hope this helps.