Monday, January 23, 2006

Pico Question

Hi All. I'm in a holding pattern right now because I'm not sure if I'm doing my pico trim correctly. I mean, I know I'm doing the stitching correctly (per Grumperina's pico trim pic on her site) but the picos are trying to turn upwards. When this first started to happen, I thought that maybe I needed to go up an additional row to sew the live stitches to so I undid all that I'd sewn and started over going up a row (I think) however the picos are still trying to flip up. I'm about halfway around the hem but before I go any further, I want to know if this is normal, if it will go away with blocking or perhaps a light steaming, or if I need to undo the sewing and go up another row or two with the sewing. I'm hoping I don't have to undo the sewing as it's pretty slow going, but I'd rather do that and have the pico trim lay nicely than to continue and have the picos flip up the whole time. HELP! Anybody else have this happen? I'm using the Luna, and I don't know how it will do under an iron... has anybody else ironed their Luna?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This happens a little bit on all picot trims - socks, shirts, hats, whatever. Remember my post about the number one knitter's best friend - the iron? Applicable here, too :) :) :).

In general, though, you want to make sure to be pretty loose with your sewing. Tug the shirt side to side before you secure the sewing thread's end. Otherwise, it may find its way out as you pull the shirt over over shoulders and bust.

Anonymous said...

I've been making sure it's not too tight because I remember reading that in your directions. Do you think I need to go up a row or two or just keep going and pray for the best with the iron?

Anonymous said...

I will be ironing my luna tomorrow morning...we shall see if there is any negative impact. I plan to post my finish product at the end of the week.

Anonymous said...

An update. Kathy emailed me and told me to go ahead and try ironing the pico trim to see if it helps, so I did on a medium setting. It is definitely better than it was, but is still trying to curl up somewhat. Maybe when I'm actually wearing it, it'll lay flatter... so I'm now working on the arms and the neck and will try to post a completed pic tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I think blocking will help, too. When I blocked my Picovoli, in fact, right after I wetted it and put it out on a towel (please don't cringe when you read this), I set my iron to super high and pressed the sh*t out of the picot edge. Wet fabric + hot iron + physical pressure = very flat fabric. Do I recommend this? Well... only if you're totally fearless :). If you're more hesitant, follow the wet pillowcase instructions :).

Anonymous said...

I just finished steaming and using a wet pillowcase on my luna...seems ok so far..will know more when it is completely dry.