Sunday, January 01, 2006

Hello everybody!

Hi! I'm new to the SKC and I'm participating in the Picovoli knitalong. Since today is the official kick-off, I figured I'd get started. This is the yarn that I'll be using.

It's Cotton Patine by Elsebeth Lavold. It's a little tousled because it's been in my stash for about six months and it has a really smooth finish so it slides around a lot. It kind of feels like silk, but it's 100% combed cotton. I really love the way it feels.

I had never done a provisional cast-on except to start a triangular shawl, using the crochet chain method, but that seemed a little impractical for this project, so I searched the Internet for a tutorial and found a great one on knitty. Forgive me if this is already linked somewhere, but I think it will be very helpful for people who have never done it before.

I'm doing the picot-edged version and I'd really like to do some bust shaping, so if anyone has any advice about how to do that, I'd really appreciate it since I've never done that either. I know that Interweave has an article on it in their Winter issue, but some advice particular to this pattern would be great.

Here's my progress so far. This is a close-up of the very beginnings of the raglan shaping. The stitches look a little wonky to me, but hopefully they'll work themselves out. I'm hoping to get through all of the raglan shaping today since I'll have a lot of time to knit.

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's photos!

4 comments:

YarnB said...

Just wanted to say hi although I can't really answer you about the bust shaping. That is probably something I should do.. I am knitting the straight version because this is really the first completed sweater I have made and I wanted to keep in simple. I have made a lot of other things though, but I am an advanced beginner you might say.

How far did you get today? Did you finish the yoke?
I am almost done with the yoke (about three-four more rounds I think) and then I am going to start the armholes. There is one tricky part here I am not sure I understand but we'll see. I will also take some photos and post tomorrow.
I like the yarn you chose. Very pretty color! I hope others post too!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Look at you go! I have a couple of questions for you regarding the Cotton Patine (I have some of this in my stash too). Were you able to get gauge with this yarn? It's a wonderful yarn but I didn't even consider it for this project because I didn't think I'd be able to get the correct gauge. Also, is there not bust shaping on this pattern? I was under the impression that there was, but I haven't looked that closely yet.

Your progress looks awesome! Thanks for the info about the provisional cast on too! Great job!

knitzalot said...

I was able to get gauge using Cotton Patine and size 6 needles. Also, there isn't any bust shaping in the pattern, but Grumperina recommends adding it for fuller-busted women. I'm just at that point now, and I'm using a tutorial from knitty to help me out. I'll let you know how it goes!

YarnB said...

knitzalot...do you have the URL to that tutorial? It might be too late for me to do any of the bust shaping but maybe not. At what point did you start it? Thanks.