Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Somewhat Cowl in cotton/modal?

I have been wanting to knit something for my Mom, and have decided the Somewhat Cowl is perfect for her. However, we live in NC, and given that she has frequent "power surges" (as she not-so-affectionately refers to her hot flashes) I think the alpaca/silk may just cause her to have a heat stroke! So I was wondering if a cotton/modal blend would work with this pattern (I am concerned about the drape of the cowl in particular). I also have another little quandary...I really would like this to be a Mother's Day surprise, so what kind of super-sleuthing do I need to do to ensure I knit her the correct size? Should I snoop in the lingerie drawer for bra size, or just go by her shirt size? Thanks for all your help ladies!

4 comments:

Colleen said...

I would suggest shirt size, as you might have to do some strange conversions to get enough ease from bra size. And, most women wear the wrong size. As for yarn, I'm going with Knit Picks Shine Sport - which a cotton/modal blend. ;) It swatches correctly, and I like the drape.

Amanda said...

You are a mind-reader Colleen, that is the yarn I had in mind...Thank you!

AimeeJessica said...

for a good fit though, really knowing measurements would help, because it's such a snug sweater. perhaps a little subterfuge? maybe find out how to accurately measure for bra size, tell your mom you just learned most women wear the wrong one, and ask her to help you measure for your own (measuring always being a two person job, after all). then you could offer to do hers ... sneaky!

or surprise her with a hug, holding a tape measure in your hands. even sneakier.

Amanda said...

Ohhh...I love the hug and measure idea, but I think she may feel the tape around the 'girls'! we are big huggers in my family, though, so I just might be able to pull it off!