Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Tempting 3?

Presenting my own, original version of Tempting II. Would that make it Tempting III? I'm very happy with it. Perhaps it could have been a little smaller though. The wavy appearance on the right side is the fabric buckling.....not body rolls!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Instead of the original version's buckled, ribbed band I've done a cabled band. Now I have another design decision to make. Should I leave the cable unadorned.......

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

......or should I add little pearl-like beads?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I do really like the beads but I'm in LOVE with the washability of this top. Done in TLC Cotton Plus it is completely carefree. I can throw it in the washer AND dryer without worry. If I add beads I might have to hand wash it to protect the finish of the beads. Handwashing in itself is not that big of a deal, but a sweater this heavy and made of cotton will take forever to air dry! Past experience tells me that sweaters like that spend more time in the laundry than they do being worn. I guess I could go ahead and sew the beads on and then just take them off later if the laundry ruins them? Opinions?

21 comments:

KMK said...

It is beautiful either way! I lean toward the beads, but understand the wash and wear question. Will you share your pattern?

Anonymous said...

OOH!OOH!OOH! Can you share directions?? I ADORE your change!!! You are so clever and it is smashing!!!
I like both pearls and non-pearls...could the pearls be washable if you turned the sweater inside out and then put it in a garment bag and put it in a gentle cycle???
Congratulations and cheers!

Robin said...

LOVE those cables -they are beautiful! I think beads would be pretty but might take away from the cables, plus I agree with the other comments about washability.

Great idea!

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS!!! I vote no beads -- it's perfect just the way it is!

Heather said...

Those cables are beautiful! What a great idea! I say leave it like it is. That way, you can wear it more often and show it off!

Oblivia said...

This is a great modification and I would opt for no beads for the no-nonsense washing. If I only had the patience to do cables... ;) Great work! Thanks for sharing.

The Boot said...

OOOoooo!!!!!! I loooove it!!!!! That is amazing!

My vote: no beads - you're never going to want to wear it knowing you have to air dry it. And you need to wear this puppy as much as possible!

Marji said...

I love it. I would vote for beads, and then just take them off if laundry does them in over time. You may find laundry isn't a problem, it's dry cleaning solvents that devastate beads more than soapy water.

Penny said...

Yes, please tell us how you did the cable! I also like the look of the pearls, but like the washability factor without pearls.

chacha / Jen said...

It's gorgeous! I vote for no beads... it looks fantastic without them, and the washability is a nice bonus. :)

Elledub said...

VERY tasty adaptation! I think the beads change the garment to a dressier level. Without the beads it is more casual. Brilliant design change!

Erica Bunker said...

OMG... that is absolutely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS!!!!! I love your personalization with the cables. What a gem, you should be proud!

Denise said...

Gorgeous! The cable dresses it up, but I still like the simplicity of the original. I vote no beads for simplicity sake. And, yes, will you share the pattern?

Rae said...

Truly beautiful work! I'm impressed! I like the beads, but I like it without the beads, too. Either way, it's gorgeous.

Melanie said...

Marlene,
Im bummed! I want to see your pic so bad, and for some reason it will not uplode to my comp =(. do you have it pictured somewhere else? (i.e. your blog?)

Amanda said...

Finally a "Tempting" I am tempted to knit! I love your mods and think it looks beautiful with or without the beads...Again so, so beautiful!

Marlene said...

Melanie, hop on over to my blog at

www.wovenflame.blogspot.com

you might be able to see the pictures there. If not, email me (my email link is on my Blogger profile page).

Anonymous said...

I love your beautiful Tempting!! How gorgeous!
I love your "Tempting 3" more than original "Tempting 2". My vote: no beads.

ICJ said...

Ingeniously BEAUTIFUL! :)
I love the idea of adding pearls! It adds even more elegance to the top, if needed... :)

Isabelle aka Tricotine

Michelle B said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your version! It is just beautiful!!