Sunday, July 23, 2006

A Question

Well, I'm getting a late start at casting on for my Tempting II and I already have a question. I'm substituting the TLC Cotton Plus for the Calmer, and I'm not sure if this "problem" is due to the substitution or not since I've read that the Calmer has a very springy quality which may help "fill out" the stitches better. I'm only about 1.5 inches into the ribbing, but I noticed right away that the stitches seemed "gappy" (big, loose, etc.) on the size 8 needles, so I went down to a size 7. I've knit another half inch or so on the size 7's and I don't see much (if any) of a difference. My question is, did those of you who knit this (both with the Cotton Plus AND the Calmer) notice that the stitches seemed "gappy"? Should I be able to see through my stitches somewhat? Will people be able to see my bra through the stitches if they have little gaps in each stitch as I'm thinking they will? If I wear a white camisole underneath will that show through the stitches too? Should I go down to an even smaller needle and re-adjust my numbers (possibly knit a size larger)? Should I start over using the called for yarn? Help! I'm not a "loose" knitter, so I don't think it's a gauge or tension issue really.... I'm thinking it's just a yarn choice issue for this particular sweater. When I put my hand behind the stitches, I can see my skin through the stitches, and I just don't know if I'm looking/scrutinizing too closely or not... Did anybody else have concerns about the "gapiness" of their stitches only to find upon finishing that the gapiness really didn't matter?

Thanks in advance for your input!

7 comments:

Heather said...

Both I and my SP who are knitting this in TLC Cotton Plus went down to a size 6 with this yarn. Did you do a swatch in SS? I was close with a 7, but saw the gappiness and uneven stitches. The size 6 needle gave the exact gauge called for in the pattern. Since you don't have too much done so far, I'd say try 6's!

Marlene said...

I used TLC Cotton Plus too Jeanie. I'm all finished, have been wearing it, and have washed it a couple of times so I feel comfortable advising you here.

I found that the stitches at proper gauge showed too much skin as well. I adjusted by going down needles sizes to a tighter gauge. I ended up doing mine at 21 stitches over 4 inches (measured over stockinette). I did a little math (stitches per inch multiplied by desired final circumference) and figured out which size came closest to that number. I knit it at my exact bust measurement....which turned out slightly too loose. I would recommend aiming for a slightly negative amount of ease.

Anyway, at my new gauge it washed up nice and is not see through.

LisaBe said...

i went down to 6, too, for the same reasons as everyone else, and i'm knitting in the same size as i would have originally. there's so much stretch anyway, between the yarn and the ribbing, that it still fits fine (i did a scrap-yarn try-on after i had a few inches done). remember, too, that you might be wearing a strapless under this because of the shoulder/neckline! :)

Anonymous said...

I am using the TLC yarn and had to go all the way down to a size 5 needle even though I'm a pretty tight knitter. My swatch was perfect using a size 5. I think you'll be okay if you wear a nude colored bra. Good luck!

knutsforknitting said...

I am not working on this project but one that calls for the same gauge as this and using TLC cotton plus, I got the gauge on 6's, not 8's as the label indicated.

magKNITficent said...

I came down just to a size 7 needle,

ICJ said...

Mmmh... I used needles size #8US and you all made me worry...

So, I run a little test: I stretched my Tempting II... I mean really stretched it to see if it showed skin through it and... well, NOTHING! It is pretty opaque! :)

Maybe it is because I am using a dark color (Navy blue) but it is not possible to see my skin through the stitches!

See photo here!

Hope this will give a little hope to those who like me didn't check the texture before going on with their #8US knitting... ;)

Isabelle aka Tricotine