Wednesday, March 14, 2007

New Updates!

Hello Sexy Knitters! Here are some new updates for everybody regarding the last knit along, the next knit along, and posting.

First, thank you to everybody who participated in the last Consumer-Friendly-Yarn-themed knit along. This knit along was one of our most successful knit alongs ever! And since the issue of Consumer Friendly Yarns is so important, we'll be sure to sponsor more of these in the near future! As the last knit along would confirm, there certainly are plenty of patterns available using Consumer Friendly Yarns. I would like to personally thank Rachel and Sarah from Zephyr Style and Lana from Hemp For Knitting for choosing consumer-friendly yarns to use in your designs.

Our knit along winner of the Sexy Knitters Club tote and skein of Hill Country Yarns Sweet Feet sock yarn is Susan C. from No Knit Sherlock! Congratulations Susan! Be sure to email me with your mailing address and your sock yarn color choice!

Our next knit along is right around the corner. Today is the last day to get your nominations in, so if your favorite pattern hasn't already been nominated, be sure to nominate it today. I am looking for volunteers to help me gather up the top 20 nominations so that we can put together our next poll. If you are able to help, please email me. For those of you who don't already know, our poll will only allow up to 20 nominations, therefore leaving comments for your favorite nomination matters when we're selecting the top 20 for our poll. Nominations that have zero comments will often be eliminated from the top 20 due to lack of interest. People often wonder why some of the patterns are left off the poll and this is why.

This past knit along inspired me to put together galleries of all the finished projects from this and all previous knit alongs. This would be a fabulous but huge undertaking (one that's much too large for just one person) so if any of you would like to volunteer to help accomplish this, please let me know.

Finally, I would like to address the issue of posting once again. Please please please, if you are going to post, please post responsibly by checking for (and deleting) multiple posts. We are unable to delete multiple posts from our end, but if each one of you could check back approximately 15 minutes after you post to make sure your post didn't publish multiple times, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, speaking about posting responsibly, please be sure all posts are SKC related. Posts that are off-topic and or solicitous in nature will be deleted. Please be advised that repeat offenses of this type may lead to dismissal from the SKC. Since Blogger is still having so many posting problems, We are still considering switching over to Typepad to host the Sexy Knitters Club site. Once again, this would take a lot of work. Before we make such a big decision, I would really love to hear from all of you (in the form of a comment to this post) whether you are in favor of such a switch or not. The switch would mean invitations would be re-sent to all 768 of you and you would have to re-activate your membership by accepting the invitation. Volunteers would (once again) be needed to help accomplish this, so please give me your input regarding this switch.

As you all can see, volunteers are greatly needed as the SKC continues to grow. Once again, if you are willing and able to help, please let me know!

Check back soon for the next knit along poll!

18 comments:

Susan said...

I'm actually happy with the current system. Even though there are some bugs, I think it's easy enough to go in and delete multiple posts after the fact.

Susan

KDs Blog

TheSteph said...

I like the current system, but I have been having loooooots of problems with blogger.

If you move the SKC to typepad, it would be VERY easy to have a gallery for each of the knit-alongs. I have recently moved to typepad and I like it a lot. Just my two cents.

Penny said...

After today, I'd love a move to Typepad as well. I've been trying to post a nomination all afternoon, and blogger keeps giving me error messages and losing the post. :(

Andrea said...

I'm happy with the current system as well. Let's stay!

Sherri said...

I'm easy, whatever you decide is cool with me. And if you need ANY help with ANYTHING, just let me know & I'd be more than happy to help you out :-)

periscope knits said...

I'd like a move to typepad. It probably has something to do with the fact that a) I've already got a typepad account and love it, and b) I can't figure out how to post to blogger, and I want to nominate rusted root and marigold!

zen-knitting said...

Yes, problems with blogger. But,
I don't know enough about typepad to compare them.
But I am willing to help.
Just tell me what I can do (and how to do it)
Jen

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about typepad, but I switched to Wordpress because I was getting so fed up with Blogger. I am in another team blog hosted by Wordpress, http://thewalkertreasury.wordpress.com/ and it works great. If there is any interest at all in switching to Wordpress, I would be delighted to help.

Anonymous said...

Blogger is the absolute worst. Just now, trying to comment, it had issues pulling up your post when I clicked into it from Bloglines and I got the 404 error twice. I highly highly recommend the move to Typepad. We have no issues of this sort on the 2 KALs that I host on Typepad, the Fitted Knitsalong and Manly Gift Along. Check the first one out for an example: http://yarncrawl.typepad.com/fittedknitsalong.

I will definitely help you send out invites, as I believe strongly in moving this blog for its long-term viability. I can tell you that I almost never want to post or comment here because of the Blogger issues, and I love this blog and all of the KALs we do. I read the posts every day via Bloglines to keep up on what is going on, but get so frustrated about the technology issues that I don't even try to post or comment most days. Just email me at rmartin_cpa at hotmail dot com if you would like my assistance with the switch.

Anonymous said...

I don't seem to have the many problems with blogger that others do, so I'm fine with it (sometimes, typepad blogs load slowly on my PC, I don't know why), but if the majority want to switch, I'm OK with that.

LotusKnits said...

I'd love to help out as well. I've been considering a move from Blogger, and thanks to the "old" blogger/"new" blogger switch, I'm not a member of the KAL anymore, but I would like to be again! Please re-add me!

Anything you need, let me know, I'm glad to help. My email is melaniedc@gmail.com

dameknitsalot said...

I'm new here, but so far I'm not impressed with Blogger. I get error messages regularly. I've been trying to look at some of the past months with no success. The error message comes from Google and says try again in 30 seconds. I offered to help with the archives and new KAL but I'm not sure how much luck I would have.

Amanda said...

Moving to typepad would be a great way to weed out all those that have participated in the past but are no longer blogging or are no longer interested in SKC. I agree both the multiple posts and off topic (hey come look at my blog!) posts are very distracting. I would be more than happy to help as well.

Shannon said...

ugh! i've been trying to post my first message to this blog, as well as my nominations for Rusted Root and Sasha. this is my first experience with blogger, and it's been giving me "server error" messages all day. does this happen often??

smug sheep said...

yes pls move away from blogger - I haven't been able to post on this blog for months because blogger won't let me...

Eatsruns said...

I'm thinking of moving to typepad myself. I'd support a move.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ok after trying unsuccessfully to publish a post fro the last hour I have to say I'm all in favor of the switch to wordpress or typepad (I think the "host" has to have a paid typepad account)
\

lauren said...

Folks have made some good points above! I'm a recent addition to the SKC and I've had a LOT of problems with the site - posting and getting an error, it took forever for me to confirm my invitation because I kept getting errors, that kind of thing. And I noticed people aren't that great about going back and deleting their multiple posts... Of course, it's so frustrating to hit post a million times and keep getting an error message and not know if it's showing up on the site or not! I think it could be worthwhile to look into both Typepad and Wordpress. Also, a move would probably help pare down the membership more those people who maybe haven't participated in a long time. Since I'm in support of a move, I'd be willing to help out some, but I'll be happy with whatever decision is made. Just some thoughts!