Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Wicked is done and man, I do not like this alpaca yarn or sweater on me! It is far from flattering and way too itchy.
(Larger)
You can't really tell how much it doesn't fit me. Let me see if this picture tells the story:

(Larger)

It is way TOO big around the neck line. I should have cast on for the smallest size to compensate for my rather smallish shoulder width and then increased until it fit me. The arms are way TOO big as well. I am now sure this yarn is not meant for me. I first used this alpaca to knit Something Red and that sweater looked horrible on me. Then I frogged it only to realize that alpaca is really kinky once you knit and frog it. So, I had to put the yarn into hanks, wash them and wait for them to dry. All this work and look - the thing is sucky!
It will feel good to drop this sucker into the Goodwill box.

Lisa - http://www.knittingupastorm.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

CaveGurl said...

I am so sorry that you had such trouble with the yarn and then with the pattern! Do you think you will re-knit the pattern in another yarn?

knitncycle said...

I knit a cotton sweater once, my second sweater actually, that looks terrible on me too. I totally feel your pain. Alpaca is great but it can "be that way" when you frog it. Oh, my evil second sweater, was almost entirely seed stitch. Very disappointing! Hope you have more success with your next project!

jeaniebeanie said...

I feel your pain. I got past the increases and tried it on. My Wicked was huge! And to think I thought it would be too fitted on me. It sucks to spend so much time on something I was so excited to make and having to re-do it.

Anonymous said...

Just because it isn't "streetwalker" tight doesn't mean it's too big! It looks like it fits just right! Omg, were wanting a second skin?

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Hi. The top photo looks like it fits well. I am surprised that you don't like the feel of the alpaca. Do you think you would have found it more flattering in a different colour? It looks dark on you. Have you considered your colours? What shades/colours absolutely make you glow and others that are just there but do nothing to enhance your natural beauty? I recently went through my closet and boy, was it an eye opener. I donated more than half my clothes away, and have room in my closet again. Better luck next time. And before you pick your next yarn, take a brutally honest friend along that may help you pick the perfect colour or yarn that you may not have chosen yourself. Good luck. :)

Alpaca Granny said...

So sad to hear bad comments about alpaca 'cause I raise them. Am so surprised that you said it was itchy. I believe that "All alpaca is not created equal" and think you might have gotten some from an older alpaca or with guard hair.

Carissa B said...

This is your official invitation to add your photo to our Wicked KAL flickr group!