Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tree House Update - Expect the Unexpected

I should have remembered the cardinal rule especially with a newborn in the house again: "Expect the Unexpected"

I thought I was a multi-tasking genius until...

Baby with a full but gassy belly lying on my lap
+
1 dose of Ovol
+
knitting in progress
=
A projectile assault on my Tree Jacket
(and my shirt, the armchair, a nursing blanket and a cushion)

Fortunately, karma has been kind and I now see the ultimate reason behind the force that told me to knit in an easily washable cotton. And ultimately, this sweater was bound to be subjected to a spit-up attack sooner or later (I was just expecting it to be a complete sweater and off the knitting needles at the time).


A washcloth, some Woolite and fifteen minutes of gentle dabbing later...we're back in business and I have finally reached the end of the garter stitch torso. Now it's on to the body and it looks like I might even finish this project in time (shocking for me as the world's self-proclaimed slowest knitter - although several others also seem to claim the title). So far I am amazed at how well (and quickly) this pattern is coming together and I love the use of increases to magically form the cap of the sleeve. And of course the best thing about knitting in the round - there won't be any stitching required at the end (the stage of each project where I always seem to lose steam).

No comments: