Thursday, November 15, 2007

Juliet And I Are On a Time Out

I finished the lace portion on Juliet last night and took it off the needles to try it on before I finished up. It was too big. Not extremely big, but the arms were big and the back seemed really bulky and hung out quite far from my body. So.........I ripped it. Sniff sniff. It was hard to do, I really wanted to be done it and to move on to something else, not that I don't like knitting it, but I think I have a fairly short attention span and crave a new project. Anyways, I'm going to start again tonight during Grey's Anatomy on the XS and hopefully it'll work out. I'm considering decreasing the increases on the set up row for the lace. Maybe doing K1FBF instead of K1FBFB. If I do that 13 times (on the back section only), that will remove one section of the lace, and hopefully decrease the bulk in the back. Any thoughts? I don't want it to end up too small though. I am making the cropped version if that helps any fellow Juliet knitters out there. Partly to blame is probably my yarn choice - Patons Shetland Chunky...it is a bulky yarn, therefore a bulky cardi will be made!

Thanks!

5 comments:

Susan said...

That's too bad. You might want to put it on two circular needles and try it on a few times before finishing. That's the great part about top-down peices. You get to try as you go.

Knitters-Delight

Knittymuggins said...

I'm sorry you had to rip it! I feel your pain, since I've had to do this myself once or twice after nearly completing something. I agree with Susan - trying it on several times through the process can be extrememly helpful. I know I wish I'd done that more the times I had to rip! Better luck this next time around :)

knittymuggins

Shannon said...

Thanks for the comments ladies, I actually did try it on once soon after I bound off the sleeves...I knew it was big then, but I think I was in denial, oh well.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too badly. I did the same thing and I had already gone down to the xsmall. The top of my fit fine, but the lace section stuck out like a triangle and looked like a tent. There was just too much material and it didn't drape well. So I completley ripped....

Anyway, bravo on starting again...my Juliet yarn has been reborn into a Zephyr Wicked (or at least half of one). If I knit it again, I'll be drastically reducing the number of increases before the lace pannel.

Happy Knitting...hope you're happier with the second attempt.

Alexandra said...

I just want to thank you for creating this post. I haven't been knitting that long and I have never knit a shirt or sweater before. I am actually knitting the Juliet piece right now and I am about to start the lace. I was "youtube-ing" and "googling" how to K1FBF&B to make sure that I was doing it right when I came across your blog. I am a little busty so I am knitting a medium and the top chest part fits well so far but I have a tiny waist and I am going to take your advice and only K1FB&F and make it a little smaller on the bottom. You have saved me so much time and I am greatful that my first piece won't be a disaster from the beginning!! Happy Knitting and thank you so much!!