Sunday, May 06, 2007

only the sleeves to go


Hi all! This is my first KAL and the first time I've posted here. I only started knitting again 4 months ago after a 20 year hiatus, but already I am knitting a lot better than I could when I was 8 :)

Anyways, here is my progress so far on my Sahara. Being in Australia and coming up to winter I decided to knit the long sleeved version, and so far I have knitted everything but the sleeves. I just had to do the neckline first though so I could try it on, and I really wasn't disappointed at all. I am knitting it in Paton's Zhivago, a tencel acrylic yarn and it's very soft and light to work with. I have made it in Small and was a bit worried it would be too tight across the chest, cause I need 5 more inches than it seems the pattern allows, but I am too much of a novice to dare attempt to modify the pattern and I wasn't willing to put up with a floppy waistline, so I resolved to live with the outcome and maybe it was just some kinda lucky break or a good choice of yarn but it really just fits perfectly.

By some kinda of bad luck I ended up with a couple of balls from the wrong dyelot, which were noticably darker than the rest, only once I'd started knitting with them of course. So I saved those and knitted the hem and neck with that and it provides a nice subtle contrast which I am actually quite happy with.

I will try and post a less fuzzy picture when I am done, but for now I was too enthusiastic and impatient to wait for a better camera.

4 comments:

Hattie said...

It looks great so far! I love the contrast as well, it works! Can't wait to see it finished. :)

MelB said...

Hi There
Im from Australia too and love your top! I have been wondering whether to use zhivago- I might give it a try!

Lisa said...

I just love the name of the yarn....so mysterious. The sweater is beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished product. Your progress has inspired me to get mine finshed this week (sleeveless version for the Texas weather).

Khalila said...

I am to the point where I've finished my hemline and I wanted to do the trim on the front first before I do the sleeves also. I am hoping mine will have the same stretch as yours for exactly the same reasons as you. I went for the small but...it's going to be close.