Friday, February 02, 2007

Finished Eiffel at last!

After a couple failed attempts at finishing, I finally finished Eiffel! Yippeeee!!!

This is a quick photo, ie: pre-blocked. You can see more photos here. As you can see it is shorter than the photos included with the pattern. It is also shorter than I originally intended. I wasn't able to get a pic of myself today, but hopefully soon. I plan to block it over the weekend and see if it fits better. I think it is pretty good overall, especially for a first sweater!

8 comments:

Robin said...

Monica, I really can't believe that is your first sweater!!!! It looks really nice - I would never guess. It's interesting that it turned out shorter than you expected though - as this pattern isn't super row-counting intensive (as row gauge would make a difference then if it were off.) Which yarn did you use? It might make a difference as the pattern was designed for the hemp, and maybe if you used a different yarn it may block out differently?? Those are just guesses.

I can't wait to see you model it!

jarubaknits said...

Wow! It's beautiful. Congratulation. The yarn has a lovely sheen to it; what yarn is it? I'm going to cast on today an also use a cream-colored Euroflax sport weight yarn, but I'm not sure how that yarn will look as the pattern calls for DK weight.

Jeanie said...

Any idea why it turned out shorter than you expected? Did you knit it the required length for your pattern size and what pattern size did you knit? Any observations and/or pattern notes that you can pass on to those of us still working on the bottom portion of this top would be GREATLY appreciated!

Jeanie said...

Oh and I agree, it IS gorgeous! And there's a really good chance that blocking WILL help add some length to it if you stretch it in that direction. Keep us posted!

mary_me_a_little said...

It looks wonderful! Wow--I may have to make an eiffel myself....

Rubys & Purls said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I really appreciate them. I used stash yarn to make Eiffel, but I only had 780 yds. The pattern in my size (38.5) required 990 yds. I was guessing at how much I should shorten the sleeves and length since I didn't have 200 yds. I used one ball each for the sleeves, two balls for the lower body and one to finish up the shoulder area.

Well, I ended up shortening too much of the length because I have a ball of yarn left! LOL I am blocking it now and I can tell that is adding some length to it. I hope to have pics on my blog later today.

Jeanie, I didn't have any trouble with the bottom half or any of the sweater. I did what the pattern said, only I shortened the lace length by a couple of inches.

Thanks again for all your help.

Anonymous said...

Nice job for your first effort. It's way to short in my opinion, you should have gotten more yarn, or used a yarn you had the proper amount of. It's ashame to have such a wonderful effort come so close to fall just short of being great.

sknittymama said...

Your Eiffel looks fabulous! Congratulations on your first sweater, you can be proud to wear it!