Monday, December 12, 2005

I just joined!

Hello lovely ladies, (there are no men yet, right?)

This is my first KAL, and I must say I am excited and a little nervous: I take forever to finish any project, and I have never made a garment I could wear (besides the socks that I have been working on 4EVER), and I have never blogged before - this is a whole new world! I do intend to keep up and finish this project in the two months allotted, you all will motivate me.

I am quite sexy, an avid "advanced beginner" knitter, an earth goddess, an excellent but infrequent cook, an irrepressible optimist, a frequent knitblog lurker, and a certifiable yarnaholic! One of my best days was when I heard that "whoever dies with the biggest stash wins". I might actually win!

I learned of the SKC yesterday by following a link on Grumperina's blog (that girl is amazing!), and since then I've been thinking about this project non-stop. I'll probably make the Picovoli in the KnitPicks Shine - I forget the color name - it's like a raspberry or cranberry or something.

I just haven't been able to order it until I figure out what else to buy to get up to $30 for free shipping - should I buy enough yarn to make two? Should I buy more sock yarn? (I already have enough to make 5 more pair after I finish the current SIPs) Should I just suck it up and pay the shipping? Has anyone knit with the Debbie Bliss Cathay? I've got one more local place to check for a comparable yarn before I make a final decision - I really prefer to buy yarn that I've touched with my own two hands.

I am very happy to be a new member of this group and I look forward to our future adventures together. Thanks for having me!

4 comments:

YarnB said...

I like your post and the way you write!!! If you order the Shine Yarn and the needles you will be over the 30.00! I just did that but I also ordered a few other things. Their prices on needles are very good compared to the local stores. I also have not finished a wearable garment except for shawls and scarves! I once did 20 years ago so i will be curious to see how this goes!! I feel better buying the knitpicks yarn. I found the Debbie Bliss yarn but it is more money of course!!

Zarah said...

Hmm... I always say spending extra to get the free shipping is totally justified. I like Lisa's idea about buying the needles and yarn. I have gobs of circs but of course not the one I need for this project! I have knit a top before, but it was not really wearable! =) Hopefully Grumperina's genius will help make this project a success.

77Milf said...

Hey! I am knitting with Debbie Bliss Cathay as we speak and I really like it! I am going back to get more for another project (I don't know what yet...)It's nice but I'm not sure how it will do for Pico, I haven't read the directions and what kind of yarn it calls for (I probably wouldn't know it anyway). But the Cathay is nice, I like it's texture.

Michelena said...

Hi girls,

Thanks for your feedback. It's good to hear from you and feel welcomed. I'm now strongly considering the DB Cathay for this project. I'm a little hesitant to buy yarn for my very first wearable garment that I haven't had a chance to touch and experience first. I'm sure they will have some Cathay at my LYS, so I might have to go that route.

I had considered getting the needles from KP to beef up my order, but I have one of the size we need already, and KnitPicks doesn't carry the brands I like, so I didn't have that option. I guess I want to buy from them, but I'm hesitant.

I hope to have all my materials by the weekend and to have a little swatch knit up before 1-1-06. I am looking forward to this so much!