Sunday, August 27, 2006

Knit Along Winners

Well, well... I think most of us knew that the Simple Knitted Bodice was going to win this knit along, didn't we? But why don't we make this a little interesting and make it a double knit along again and include Sizzle as well. Make either pattern or make both. We'll have separate drawings for those who make the Simple Knitted Bodice, for those who make Sizzle, and for those who make both. Me, I'm going to try to make both since both of these patterns are AWESOME and since I already bought both patterns weeks ago.

The knit along will start in two weeks (mid September) but feel free to jump in now if you've already got your supplies. Speaking of supplies, you can buy the pattern for the Simple Knitted Bodice here and here and you can even buy a complete kit here and here. There are many (online and offline) shops that offer Tilli Tomas yarns at reasonable prices -- just Google it. The pattern for Sizzle can be purchased here and Sizzle kits can be purchased here.

Please list yarn substitute suggestions here (as a comment to this post) for easy reference for those considering using an alternate to the Tilli Tomas for the Simple Knitted Bodice and for the Silk Bijou for Sizzle. I'm going to be using Hill Country Yarns Merino Silk which is identical to Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb (which is a recommended alternate to the Tilli Tomas) for much less for the Simple Knitted Bodice but am not sure yet which yarn I'll use for Sizzle. I posted this in a previous post, but thought I'd post it again here for y'all to view. This is taken directly from the pattern -- I assume the author is okay with posting this info.



Regarding pattern support, both Stephanie Japel (who authored the SKB) and Wendy Bernard (author of Sizzle) are members of the SKC and I'm sure will be checking this board frequently for questions and/or pattern issues and are usually available by email as well. I will notify both of them that their patterns won our knit along poll to give them a heads up.

The knit along will end mid November and drawings will be held at that time. I can't wait to see everybody's progress of either or both of these patterns. Is it just me or does it seem like we were just blessed with an abundance of incredible patterns this go round? Either way, I'm excited about this knit along and excited to be a Sexy Knitter so I can knit these with Y'ALL!

Now go shop for yarn!

26 comments:

Landstown Poultry said...

Um...for those of you like myself who stumble over the cost of those kits/the yarn suggested...I know Pima Silk has been used successfully to make this as well and it is much cheaper here.

Eatsruns said...

yay! I know what you mean, I'm planning on knitting several of the nominees :)

Fredi said...

I'm going to make the bodice and was looking at Knitpicks. They have several wool/silk blends. The elegance paired with the shimmer as a carry along and to put beads on might work. I can't tell from the picture of the sweater if the beaded part is using only one specific yarn in specific places. If so I may just add the beads and sequins for that part and use both yarns for interest and to get gauge. What do you think?

Unknown said...

I am going to make the bodice with Noro Lily - I have 15 skeins in my stash, stashbusting!

I am so happy we chose this pattern!

Anonymous said...

Any Canadians out there with suggestions for getting some discounted yarn for this project? I can't afford the Tilli right now, but I don't want to cheap out too much and waste my time with a finished product I'm not satisfied with either. Also, I still can't seem to log in here properly, says my pw is incorrect. Is there a way to get your pw sent to you on here?
Thanks in advance for the help! I can't wait to get started on this :)

Elizabeth Metz said...

Yay!

I'm making the SKB in Debbie Bliss Merino DK. I'm getting gauge with it, even though it's a lighter weight than called for in the pattern. (Which is fine with me, since less bulk = a good thing for the Chest of Doom.)

I can't wait to see what y'all do with this thing!

Tania Ho said...

so glad you decided to have both patterns, because I had already purchased Sizzle ;)

Bettina said...

Hi,

is there any way to buy the simply knitted bodice and pay via pay pal.

Don´t believe in credit cards, and would love to knit it.

Pixie Purl said...

I am knitting the SKB in Silky Tweed and it is turning out great. I went down a needle size (6s and 3s) and am actually getting perfect gauge. I just finished the body of the sweater and it fits great, so even though the weight of the yarn is different, it will still work out nicely...and WEBS has the yarn on closeout!

Anonymous said...

A quick suggestion, I hope you're not offended. But when you put a new post at the top of the page, could you hide your previous posts? It's an *awful* lot of scrolling to get down to the new members' posts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anonymous -- No offense taken and your input is appreciated, however the posts at the top of the page have important information that I want to make sure all members have easy access to. I remove the posts that are no longer current or vital as soon as possible to keep the "scrolling" to a minimum but sometimes a little scrolling is unavoidable.

Also, my blog feed program(FeedBurner) will take me directly to new posts so that scrolling isn't necessary. I'm not sure how the other blog feeds work or if you use one, but this might also help you to go directly to new posts.

Alcuin Bramerton said...

Is it true that Knitting and Tantra are cognate activities?

Jan said...

I will once again have to sit out as unfortunately I cannot afford the patterns, forget the yarn!!!

Gelsomina (Jill) Lucchesi said...

Before I jump on board, can someone tell me what the required yardage is for the SKB, size 46, both yarns?

Thx,
G

Lindsay said...

I'm working Sizzle in pleasantly affordable
Shine Worsted by knitpicks. There are a few photos of it on my blog, but they could be better.
It costs $2.49 for 75 yds and has a nice sheen and drape. I have encountered several lumps and pulls in the strand so far though, so only go this route if you're up for a bit of a raw look.

Heather said...

I had already purchased, and plan to knit along with you ladies, Sizzle - done up in Knit Picks Andean Treasure. The color I chose was "Embers" since I love the deep red color, but do not plan to wear this as a tank, but rather layered over a collared shirt so that it's work-friendly and so that I can get more wear out of it. Therefore, I didn't mind the warmer choice of fibers. The swatch I did has wonderful drape, and I think it will look great! Also - I don't know if I worked at Target a bit too long or what, but I can't wait to wear this one to work with some khaki's!!! :O)

Miss Scarlett said...

Oh I love that bodice! And the yarn, the pricey, pricey yarn! With the beads and sequins already on. Nuts.
I have just started my Sizzle using Pima Cotton and it is an excellent substitute. I think I overpurchased even though I am making the largest size. sigh - the bigger the sexy attributes the more costly the project!
But I am sure it will be worth it in the end.
I might just see if I can swing at least the accents on the bodice with the pricier yarn. One can dream...

Unknown said...

My plain is to do the SKB long sleeve; I just need to source a good price on the yarn since I need 4 skeins of MC and 2 of the beaded accent. I'd prefer not to drop out of this KAL so I'll be searching and swatching. =)

Manda said...

yay!!! :) I planned on knitting both of these patterns ASAP! I'm dubbing next month Start it Up September. *lol* because I want to knit those two patterns, as well as another one. :) plus who knows what else... doesn't the new Knitty come out soon? *lol* :)

happy knitting!

Fredi said...

Jill The yardages are 1200 total worsted being 840 of yarn A and 360 of B for the short sleeved. Long sleeve is 1500 which is 1140 of A and 360 of B, Hope this helps.

Knitty Cat said...

Alright! Sign me up! I'm making the bodice!!

ICJ said...

I would like to mention that my blog moved. Here is the new adress

www.tricotine.typepad.com

Thank you for update my membership in the list, Jeanie! :)

Isabelle aka Tricotine

Spincerely said...

Hello! Has anyone ever knit with Southwest Trading Company's Karaoke? The SKB pattern says that any worsted weight would substitute ok? It looks a bit bulkier online. Also - when you buy the SKB pattern is there more info on there about yardage? I have some Mermaid multicolored roving and I was thinking maybe if I buy the solid Mermaid Karaoke yarn I could use that for the main color and use the multi-handspun for the beaded accents? I haven't decided on long or short sleaves, but I'm thinking short. But I'm also not sure - maybe the Karaoke would be itchy?

Thanks for any help!

Lumie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lumie said...

jarubaknits I'm thinking of using the same yarn substitution for the bodice. I like the blending and weight of the yarn and think it will work nicely. I'm planning on ordering the yarn for the long sleeve version whenever money becomes available again.

Peanutga11ery1 said...

I can't figure out how to post a new post (if I'm allowed to?) but I am trying to figure out how to do all the math because I have some hand-dyed silk that is fingering weight, about. I get 28 sts/1" and 7.5 rows/1". So it's about 140%. I'm working on the math, but as far as length goes, I'm a bit baffled on how to make it look good because of the increase rows, etc., on top. I'm on the 3rd row now.j Any advice?

I am in love with this pattern!